Bruxism is a condition in which you grind, gnash, or clench your teeth. If you have bruxism, you may unconsciously clench your teeth when you're awake or clench or grind them during sleep.
Signs and symptoms of bruxism may include:
- Teeth grinding or clenching, which may be loud enough to wake up your sleep partner
- Teeth that are flattened, fractured, chipped, or loose
- Worn tooth enamel, exposing deeper layers of your tooth
- Increased tooth pain or sensitivity
- Tired or tight jaw muscles, or a locked jaw that won't open or close completely
- Jaw, neck or face pain or soreness
- Pain that feels like an earache
- Dull headache starting in the temples
- Damage from chewing on the inside of your cheek
- Sleep disruption
See your dentist or doctor if you have any of the symptoms listed above or have other concerns about your teeth or jaw. Your dentist can fit you with a
or discuss utilizing the Botulinum toxin (Botox or Xeomin) to protect your teeth from grinding during sleep.